Fall migration in Ventura County means hundreds of warblers chipping their way through our county. And each fall we have our simple, yet challenging, game for birders to play while they are out craning their necks for those elusive little birds. The game is Warbler Bingo! Our game starts on September 1st, so start brushing up on those warbler field marks!
How to Play
- Each year, starting in late August, visit this web page and sign up to receive a game card.
- As you go out birding after September 1st, simply mark off the birds on your card that you have seen or heard.
- If you are lucky enough to get five warblers in a row (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal) then email email@example.com and let us know that you have a Warbler Bingo!
- Our fall warblers seem to love tamarisks, so be sure to check those places out regularly!
- Birding relies heavily on the honor system and so do we! Please only record birds that you are able to positively ID.
- The game starts on September 1st and runs through November 30th and sightings only count if they are within that timeframe.
- Only warblers seen in Ventura County count for our game.
- Only one Warbler Bingo card allowed per person.
- The first person to get a Warbler Bingo will receive a fabulous prize, to be determined by the Board of CVAS.
- The winner will also receive a certificate of accomplishment for their outstanding warbler watching.
- Bragging rights are optional.
UPDATE AS OF 9/22/2021: We have a winner for Warbler Bingo 2021! Congratulations to Sammy Cowell for spotting an American Redstart, Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon’s), MacGillivray’s Warbler, Nashville Warbler and Tennessee Warbler.Starting on August 15th, you can request a BINGO card for this year's challenge.